Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin has further confirmed that the merger is likely to take place in August, following statements from Ethereum developer Preston Van Loon at the permissionless conference. Buterin noted, however, that it is quite possible that there is still a risk of delay, and the merge could happen in September or October 2022.
Merge could happen in August, Buterin says
right now, Vitalik Buterin ETH spoke at the Shanghai Web 3.0 Developer Summit and the Ethereum co-founder discussed the much-anticipated Proof-of-Stake (PoS) transition. The merge is scheduled to go live on Ethereum’s testnet Ropsten in 18 days on June 8, 2022.
During the ETH Shanghai summit, Buterin explained that the transition will be a big test for the entire Ethereum ecosystem. “This will be a huge test, bigger than any test we’ve done before,” Buterin stressed. “Taking a larger existing test network with multiple applications with proof of work, moving to proof-of-stake.”
- Furthermore, Buterin confirmed that the merge could be implemented by August as ETH software developer Preston Van Loon The same was said in the permissionless conference. However, while Buterin mentioned the month of August, that too has been delayed.
- “If there are no issues, the merger will happen in August,” the Ethereum co-founder said. “But of course, there is always a risk of problems. There is also a risk of delay. And so September is possible and October is also possible,” Buterin said.
- Meanwhile, The Merge is the first of Ethereum’s major upgrades after the London upgrade, which implemented ETH’s burn mechanism. After the merge, Ethereum will implement The Surge, The Verge, The Purge and finally The Splurge.
- Surge aims to help improve scaling by leveraging zero-knowledge rollups (ZK-rollups) through sharding techniques. Ethereum’s The Verge Transition will implement Verkle Tree to achieve statelessness using Merkle Proof Upgrade.
- According to the Ethereum roadmap, Purge will add an EVM simplification track and eliminate historical data and technical debt. In the end, The Splurge revolves around “miscellaneous but important additions.”
- Buterin also spoke about The Surge, explaining that after these two upgrades (Merge and Surge), Ethereum will be “a great system”.
What do you think about Vitalik Buterin’s comments regarding Merge and the Ethereum roadmap? Let us know what you think about this topic in the comment section below.
image credit: Shutterstock, Pixabay, WikiCommons
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation or recommendation or endorsement of an offer to buy or sell any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.