Global e-commerce giant eBay has acquired non-fungible token (NFT) marketplace NonOrigin as part of its efforts to become a leader in digital collectibles.
- The news of the acquisition was announced in a press release on Wednesday (June 22, 2022). Although details of the purchase are scarce, the statement said both parties have signed the deal and closed it.
- Meanwhile, eBay noted that the acquisition of NFT Marketplace was an important step in the company’s foray into the digital collectibles world, as it aims to become a top global destination for such items.
- According to a statement from eBay CEO Jamie Iannone:
“Ebay is the first stop around the world for those looking for that perfect, hard-to-find, or unique addition to their collection, and with this acquisition, we will continue to be a leading site as our community increasingly Adding digital collectibles.”
- KnownOrigin was founded in 2018 and allows artists and collectors to display, sell and collect unique digital items. Co-founder David Moore said this is the right time to partner with a big company like eBay.
- Moore said:
“This is the beginning of a new chapter in the KnownOrigin story and we couldn’t have chosen a better time to focus on creation and innovation with the team at eBay. This partnership will help us attract a new wave of NFT creators and collectors.” will do.”
- The latest development comes shortly after eBay partnered with Web3 company OneOff to launch a hockey-themed NFT collection. Back in 2021, e-commerce marketplaces enabled the sale of NFTs on their platform.
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register and enter code POTATO50 to get up to $7,000 on your deposit.